Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bruschetta alla Julie and Julia

In honor of our 1000th hit (WOW) I decided to make my favorite recipe from one of our favorite movies: Julie and Julia. If you haven't seen it, you should. She makes a ton of great food in that movie but this one is the one that causes me to drool profusely everytime!
*Serves 2*



INGREDIENTS:
4 slices - Focaccia bread OR a crusty baguette bread

16oz - heirloom tomatoes (IF you can find them, the lovely man at Frys told me they were not in season but this recipe couldn't wait so I used regular roma tomatoes and diced them into large chunks!)

1tsp - minced garlic

3tbsp - olive oil

fresh OR dried basil



STEP 1:
Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. If you are using a baguette you will probably just want to cut thick-ish slices if you are using a loaf of focaccia cut it in half width wise and then cut large pieces off and toast your bread. This will only take a few minutes so watch it, you don't want it to burn.


STEP 2:
If you are using heirloom tomatoes just cut them in half and add them to a small bowl. If you are using another kind of tomato, cut them into medium-large chunks and add them to the bowl. Mix in 1tbsp of olive oil, the garlic and if you are using dried basil mix in about 2tsp.


STEP 3:
Top the bread with a heaping pile of tomato mixture and EAT! If you are using fresh basil you will want to rough chop it and sprinkle it on top!


ENJOY!

--I just want to say THANK YOU! to everyone that is helping us make this blog a success. It started as just a fun idea but has truely become like a child to both of us! I am having so much fun sharing the recipes and loving all the feedback!--

:)) Courtney

5 comments:

  1. I have made this before and it is to die for! My mouth was literally watering watching them devour it in the movie, I ran home and made it that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. garlic in a bottle = my saving grace! I don't like cutting or mincing garlic and I hate how it makes my fingers smell. I have both kinds, the chopped and minced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it taste the same? I loveeee garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course it tastes the same, i wouldnt use it otherwise

    ReplyDelete