Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chicago Dogs!

--Thanks to the hot-dog stand guy & his ginormous poster, I had been craving these dogs for weeks! When I went in search of a recipe I quickly realized there are several versions, after a week of research I finally tracked down the correct version of these Windy City Classics!--


INGREDIENTS:
BUNS - I found that bratwurst buns work best because they are pretty big and roomy
1 or 2 - ALL BEEF hot dogs PER PERSON
1tbsp - diced onion; per dog
1tbsp - yellow mustard; per dog
1tbsp - relish; per dog
2 - tomato wedges; per dog (I cut mine in slices, they fit better in the bun)
2 or 3 - cucumber slices OR 1- pickle spear; per dog
3-5 - pepper rings (depending on how hot you like it!); per dog
dash of celery salt; per dog

STEP 1:
Bring water to a boil and boil hot dogs for 8-10 minutes. During boiling proceed to step #2

STEP 2:
Dice onion and slice or wedge tomatoes and cucumbers (if you are using them)

I like to slice my tomatoes and cucumbers into spears, I find they fit better in the buns. Of course you can slice them however you prefer!


STEP 3:
When dogs are done boiling, drain water and begin building:

I am told that TWO things are of extreme importance when making your own Chicago Dog:

This guy - CELERY SALT and BUILDING THEM IN CORRECT ORDER!
Start with your split bun, spread on relish in the middle and top with onion then drizzle mustard on sides of buns.

Then place dog on top of onion - tomato spears on one side and cucumbers OR pickles on the other - pepper rings on top of the dog and finish it off with a dash of celery salt!


ENJOY!



--SO good, and SO messy, so plan on having some extra napkins around!--
:) Courtney

1 comment: